Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Counselor
Experience:  PHD LPC

I have been married to a man from Lebanon for 18 years. Married

I have been married to a man from Lebanon for 18 years. Married so that he could stay in this country. We have 2 children-9 and 3. There were many issues early on with our marriage due to the different cultures. However both of our families have come around.

Now I feel "out of sorts" because of the cultural issues (in spite of trying to understand Lebanese culture and having visited the country). All of my in-laws are from Lebanon and I am the only American. Also, my husband and I have always had a level of tension in our marriage and sexual awkwardness as well. I have had strong attractions to other men (American) but nothing has happened. I am not sure what to do. Thanks.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 6 years ago.
Hi and welcome

If you married so he could stay in this country and are rethinking your decision (awkwardness with cultural, attractions to men from your own culture) and stayed married for 18 years what is it that is bringing these feelings to the surface? What you need to do is see a therapist who can help you sort out what you are feeling, help you understand what is at stake if you decide to leave and what you can do to help you live the life you deserve. You might also consider marriage counseling as a way to reduce the marital tension and talk about what both of you expect from each other in this marriage.