Anna
Anna, Social Worker
Experience:  29 years experience in addictions & mental health. I'll tell you my honest opinion.
20023641

Im worried about whay my mum will do after my sister and I

I'm worried about whay my mum will do after my sister and I leave home next year. She has no close friends, and no family nearby she can talk to, and I'm not sure she's getting the love and support she deserves from my dad.

My siblings and I have always had a volatile relationship with our dad as he's quick to anger; we often fight, which once resulted in him ignoring my brother for 8months. He's currently very angry at us for various reasons, and isn't talking to us and now is refusing to talk to my mum as well, even though she hasn't done anything.

I told her that I wanted to go to England soon so that once my sister and I are gone we won't annoy dad and it'll be easier for her. She then started crying and said no, that we should go when we're ready because when we go she really will be alone.

I don't know what to do anymore, because I want to go but I don't want to leave her. Any help would be appreciated.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.

Hi Woah Nelly,

The greatest gift you can give your mother is to have a full life. Encourage her to see her doctor and be evaluated for depression - that will energize her and let her deal with her situation better. You can't lay your life down to save her - it never works, and then you've got 2 people who's lives are ruined.

Here is a great article that will help you understand this better:
Angry controlling men

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.

Thanks!

Anna