Dr.G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota

Hi How do I deal with my mother in law, who is hoildaying

How do I deal with my mother in law, who is hoildaying at my house, she has a answer for everything, keeps shouting at the kids for petty things,does not pay for anything, does very little in the house and wants to take my husband(her son) away for xmas just the two of them..oh also my parents are on hol at my house too....
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr.G. replied 6 years ago.
Well you have options for dealing with those the in-law. 1) You can ignore her behavior and chalk it up to her being her. 2) You can kill her with kindness. 3) You can tell her to leave 4) you can have her stay at a hotel and 5) You can set some ground rules for YOUR house. I would lean towards number 5 and say this to her...I like spending time with you when you visit but it seems that things get a little out of hand and the fun goes away. Therefore, I would like it if you leave the children alone and let me handle it. My husband and I are staying together for Christmas so if you want to get together alone then it is going to have to be at a later time. I would also like it if you ... whatever that might be. So what you are doing is setting some ground rules and boundaries with this woman. After you lay it out to her you can say if you can't go along with my request then I am afraid you will have to leave. Believe me this may seem hard to do but once you do it it will take off so much stress for you. The sooner you do it the better. Good luck