Dr Rossi
Dr Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Author, 13+years of experience.

My wife and I have been married for 15 years. lately things

My wife and I have been married for 15 years. lately things have severely changed.Over the past 6 months my wife has been seeing a counselor to combat some issues in our marriage as well as several issues about her past as a child. Molestation, divorce, teenager parent, etc. Also during this same time frame I have been traveling to work on a difficult job and was away 3 to 5 days a week. We have 3 kids, one of which is in college. Here is my problem:Since she has been seeing this licensed thereapist she has completely stopped all intamacy with me. We have not had sex, held hands, or when I do try to kiss she turn her head and I get a cheek. The past 1 1/2 months they diagnosed her as ADHD. She is now on Vyvanse, the mood swings are horrible, I can't take it anymore. We are going to marriage counseling. first time. We are to go on vacation with her family but I dont even want to go. It is 6 days away. my emotions have changed with the lack of being together. What do I do?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr Rossi replied 6 years ago.

Good Morning,

It may be possible that your wife has another coexisting disorder in addition to ADHD.

You're reporting mood swings and lack of affection and past trauma (PTSD/victim of sexual abuse, etc)

Besides her staying in her own therapy and the two of you going to a couple's therapist, there is not much you can do besides encourage her to remain in treatment, to take her medication and at times give her some space if needed (do not engage in arguments or anything with her for the time being,) try to be supportive and listen to her.

Perhaps she feels bad about what is taking place as well. Of course, issues ought to be addressed and lots of family work and her working in her individual therapy must be consistent.