Dr.G.
Dr.G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota

my husband just hit me yesterday and tried to strangle me,

Customer Question

my husband just hit me yesterday and tried to strangle me, we were just having an argument where he started shouting and when i was in anger he just pushed me towards the kitchen cabinet and strangled my neck for few seconds and then left. he realized his mistake after few mins and been sorry after that, i'm just afraid of my biys, i don want to shatter their lives, i wanted to call the police immediately but stopped coz of the kids,plz help what to do?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr.G. replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry to tell you but you just let him know that it was ok for him to do that to you without any consequences to his actions. You should call the police because violence is not tolerated and should be unacceptable in your home. And worse off, you just taught your children that it is ok for their dad to hit their mother. You need to not put up with the violence and let your husband know that if it ever happens again the police will be called.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
my boys werent there at that time, so they didnt see anything, but after crying alot i realized i could better deal with this, i took a check and asked him to sign it for 5 thoosand dollrs so that he will remember this, but after signing that he's been really been trying to harras that if i take this amount he will cancel all the vacations to home or last divorce, i know i've allowed him to hit me but calling the police at night in front of boys and a guest is preety big step for me, pls helo in detail i'm trying to call domestic violence help line.
Expert:  Dr.G. replied 4 years ago.
Now he is using more threats which is a sign of abuse. I think calling the domestic violence hotline is your best option. They can connect you with a local agency who can guide you through the process of getting help. If need be, they can help you make a safety plan for you and your children to help you get out safely and to help provide you with resources to keep you and your children safe. I am assuming you have the hotline number so stay safe and let me know if you need anything else.