Dr.G.
Dr.G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota
15682972

Hello, This story that would be funny if it hadnt caused

Customer Question

This story that would be funny if it hadn't caused so much upset and mistrust in my relationship. I was en route to a romantic holiday with my boyfriend when he proposed to me. I love him and want very much for us to have a life together so I said yes. On our vacation he activated his kindle--a recent gift from me, and discovered that it had mysteriously accessed all the content from MY kindle which included a book called "Smart Girls Marry Money." At the time we talked about it a little. Yes, I had read the book and no, my interest in him was not some sort of plot engineered for purposes of my personal gain, yes I love him. We sort of laughed it off but after we returned home he started reading it and regularly brought up items from it, as if to tease me. We recently began discussing prenuptial agreements and he told me today that he was deeply hurt by the incident. I am mad at him for questioning my integrity and for not letting this go. Any advice?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr.G. replied 6 years ago.
Wow, can't this guy take a joke. No harm no foul. If you lighten up on him and don't make it a regular topic of conversation then it should be dropped. If he is persistent, then let him know that you were interested in the book and it was not intended to be a knock on your relationship. You need to let him know to drop the conversation because if he is going to take things seriously as this then you won't share things with him anymore. Don;t be mad because it does send the wrong impression but if your intentions were harmless then it should be a nonissue. Validate his feelings and tell him you understand how it can be misinterpreted and that you are sorry he feels that way but it was meant to be harmless. See if this works. If not get back to me and maybe I can help some more.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I appreciate your attention, but I am not really satisfied with this answer. It is hard for me to respect advice when it is not punctuated correctly and when the sentence construction and usage are incorrect. I don't know what "knock on your relationship" means.
Expert:  Dr.G. replied 6 years ago.
I am sorry you feel that way. Knock on relationship means that it was not intended to be reflected on your relationship.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Right, thanks. I don't feel any need to leave negative feedback, but I do prefer to conclude this experiment with the on-line question asking. I don't think it is right for me. Thanks again for your time and attention and best wishes.
Expert:  Dr.G. replied 6 years ago.
I thought I answered your question. What else do you need help with?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
To clarify: I was not satisfied with the answer to my question and I gave a specific feedback concerning this. Additionally, the answer seemed very off hand and not particularly insightful. The organization of your response was not logically structured and you made assumptions regarding the order of events which were not accurate.. I also told you that my dissatisfaction probably has something to do with the website itself which may be great for some but isn't right for me.