Dr.G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota

I hung out with my ex-boyfriend. Yesterday, I had mentioned

Customer Question

I hung out with my ex-boyfriend. Yesterday, I had mentioned to him that I just want us to put our b.s. aside and for us to love each other whole heartedly like we always have. Once I mentioned that, I quickly got off the phone and today he called me to take me to a place that I have been wanting to go for a while. We cracked jokes and so on and so forth. I just dont know where we stand.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr.G. replied 6 years ago.
How long did you go out with him and why did you break up?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We went out for about a year. We broke up due to the fact that we were arguing frequently, it was difficult for us to communicate at the end, when during the first half of our relationship, we could talk about anything. The funny thing is, when it came to difficult important issues, we could communicate perfectly, but when it came to stupid, mundane stuff, that is when we would argue. I would also say that the stress of our relationship was caused by work as well. We both have extremely stressful jobs in the catering industry in which we were both working at the same time at one point, which is how we met. I am still there, and he has left.
Expert:  Dr.G. replied 6 years ago.
I am glad that there are positive aspects of your relationship and that at times communication has gone well. You might already know the answer to this but I will tell you anyway. You are unsure of the status of this relationship and so two things need to happen. First, you need to identify what you want for yourself and what kind of relationship you want with this guy. Second, you need to know what his expectations are for this relationship and how does he view the status. This is a time to get that healthy communication going. You guys go out to dinner and have a serious discussion about what each of view think about starting the relationship AND...things that need to be different this go around if the relationship is going to start back up. This is a time for total honesty with each person's feelings. Better to get it out upfront then to harbor feelings and let them come out down the road. I hope this helps and good luck.