Dr Rossi
Dr Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Author, 13+years of experience.

i need some advice on the guy I have been dating for about

i need some advice on the guy I have been dating for about 2 months. We are both older---I am 38 and he is 36. He is in the reserves for the air force and travels alot.
When we first met---we spent a lot of time together ---and then about two weeks ago--he started pulling away. We had a talk last night and he said he felt like i was pushing everything and he did not know. He said he need some space and wants to take a step back...i was agreeable and told him I would give him that...and also explained that I apologize for pushing and also being a little needy at times. I have been going thru some issues with myself with my job and have been dealing with that---but I know I need to work on those issues on my own and cannot bring them into my relationship.
He has pulled away alot--and went on another trip today until monday---i have not contacted him---and will not..I am just confused and dont know what to do.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr Rossi replied 6 years ago.

Good Evening,

In the beginning of all relationship each person wants to spend more time with the other, they try to impress each other, are more affectionate etc. As each person becomes comfortable with one another, these feelings of novelty start to wear off. This does not mean that they no longer like or love each other. It is just the next phase of the relationship.

If you have only dated about 2 months and you have been dealing with stressful things and personal issues, it is possible that he may had gotten overwhelmed. Usually the start of a relationship is a time of excitement and more positive experiences. He may have felt that things were moving too fast for him (and you're admitting being needy at times) This in return may have made him more cautious if he felt things were moving really fast.

What may be helpful is just to try and match his pace and focus on the relationship when you are with him and on yourself and issues when alone.