Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Counselor
Experience:  PHD LPC

Hi, I am in a relationship with a man who is in the Army. He

Hi, I am in a relationship with a man who is in the Army. He loves guns and helicopters. I admire his career in the military and am so proud of him... But when he starts talking about those two subjects I get nervous because I dont know how to respond. I have learned more about the helicopter he works on to try and relate to him, to understand what he is talking about but it still goes over my head. Same with guns. I need a response that tells him I love him and that although I may not understand everything he just said I was so happy that he shared that with me and will continue to talk to me about that part in his life in the future.

Clara Mae
Hi and welcome

You are doing all the right things to let him know how proud of him you are! It's okay to let him know it's over your head and you can't understand his work the way he does. If you were say, a hair stylist and color specialist do you think he would understand everything you did in your profession? Absolutely not! So just tell him you love hearing all about his career even though you are not fully aware of all that's involved. I am sure over time you will pick up a lot of information just from hearing him talk about it. If you need a response, tell him the truth...I love it when you talk about your work even if I don't understand it 100%, it makes me happy just to hear the excitement in your voice. That will tell him you love him and are willing to listen.
Please click ACCEPT and leave FEEDBACK when you are satisfied.

Edited by Dr. Keane on 11/20/2009 at 1:34 PM EST