Dr.G.
Dr.G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota
15682972

I was with my ex for over 2 and half years, things were going

I was with my ex for over 2 and half years, things were going great as least that what i thought.. and one say she told me she didnt want to be with me anymore.. At first i didnt believe it.. I loved her so much and stil aint come to term with th break up. Its been a year and 9 month since we broke up and i still aint totally moved on.. I find it frustrating because i really want to be happy like i was with her... I have been in 2 relationships after my ex and they all broke down because i just couldnt get my ex gf out of my head.. I mean the last girl i was with showed me true love and was willing to fight for me, but i just couldnt see it because i was blinded by the love for my ex.. I finally pushed her away because i wanted to be left alone... I feel so lonely and even though i am an outgoing guy, i meet alot of girls when am out and get alot of attention from other girls, i just feel like i cant trust any other girl.. How can i please move away from the thought of my ex girlfriend and finally find someone I can be with without thinking about my ex
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr.G. replied 5 years ago.
Well I tell you one thing; we can't always control what we think. I hope you are not getting in the bad habit of comparing new girlfriends to your ex because if you do you will find fault in the new ones every time. I think you answered your question when you said you have not come to terms with the breakup. Basically that is what you need to do. You need to accept that the relationship did not work out. Find something positive you can learn from that relationship so that you don't make the same mistake twice. You also need to compartmentalize different areas of your life. For example, trying to find that same happiness may not happen because it was a unique situation. You need to be open to finding happiness and get away from trying to find the same thing you had with the ex. Focus your attention on being in the moment with these new girls and find the happiness in having unique girlfriends. Heartbreaks are not easy to overcome but the more time you spend with your attention on new relationships and cherishing those relationships the less time you will think about your ex. Remember you have to tell yourself that it is over and you need to believe it. It is time to look forward to the wonderful things that lie ahead instead of having the regrets and looking at things that once were. I hope this helps and good luck.

Edited by Dr.G. on 11/20/2009 at 3:34 AM EST
Dr.G., Psychologist
Experience: Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota