Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Counselor
Experience:  PHD LPC

My husband died shortly after surgery for stomach cancer. The

Customer Question

My husband died shortly after surgery for stomach cancer. The month before he was hospitalized because he passed out in church. In the hospital he was told he was anemic. At that time, he was given a pacemaker and defibrillator. He was released in 3 days. one month later he returned for an endoscopy and was diagnosed with stomach carcinoma. He was given 3 units of blood before surgery to remove the tumor. My husband died of aspiration pneumonia and carcinoma. I feel that he should have been diagnosed and treated the first visit to the hospital since at that time he was experiencing internal bleeding. Do you have any recommendations for me?

Thank you,
Betty Chase
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 6 years ago.
Hi and welcome,

I am sorry for the loss of your husband and understand how hard it must be not to know why his disease wasn't diagnosed when he first went to the hospital. At that time the focus was on his heart, his heart disease was more prominent and what they needed to deal with in order for him to stay alive at that time. I am not sure why he had to wait so long for an endoscopy but am sure they wanted to make sure he was stable before they could operate on him. He sounds like he was a very ill gentleman before the surgery. "Why" is the operative word most people who lose someone asks. Why didn't they do something, why did they make him wait so long, along with the wonder of what difference would the outcome had been had he received his diagnosis a month earlier. For your husband, the outcome would probably have been the same. So to help you through your grief it would be a good idea to find a bereavement group and meet other people who are going through the same or close to the same pain you are experiencing. It can be comforting to have others you can talk to who understand what you are going through, may have some anger, feel helpless and sad. If you can't find a bereavement group in your community you can find a grief therapist who can help you sort through all your are feeling and help you find closure. I hope this helps.
Please click ACCEPT and leave FEEDBACK when you are satisfied.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your response. I can not accept your answer. I was looking for legal assistance through legal It appears that my question was redirected to I don't need personal counseling for grieving. I believe I have legitimate concerns for medical malpractice or personal injury.