Anna, Social Worker
Experience:  29 years experience in addictions & mental health. I'll tell you my honest opinion.

My wife makes fun of my singing

Customer Question

I love to sing and I know I don't have a good voice but does she have to be so rude?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.

Singing is a very personal expression of deep joy for most people, so to be rude about someone's singing can give that person a deep wound. In many churches, the singing portion of the service is called worship to signify it's deep, heartfelt feelings that arise from it.

I would suggest writing her a card that tells her of how much this hurts your and makes you feel muzzled, and ask her to stop out of her respect for you and your posiition as her husband. Be serious, but not condeming or argumentative. She may be embarrassed to be called on it. Just say your piece and let it go. Then if she does it again, just look her in the eye and say, "Please stop. That really hurts me."

I don't know of too many people who can take that kind of feedback and still keep up the hurtful act. And then when you're home alone or in the car or mowing the lawn, sing your heart out at the top of your lungs and enjoy yourself.

Take care, Pre.