Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Counselor
Experience:  PHD LPC

If my wife is the one working and I am staying at home (with

If my wife is the one working and I am staying at home (with our Son), what can I do to make the relationship more fair and will this make her not listen to me as much or become controlling?

Your wife is the one who leaves home every day to go to work, that does not mean you aren't working! Raising a child takes a lot of time, energy and hard work. I tell my patients that fair does not mean equal. Your relationship is fair already. If your communication skills are good and you make time for each other she will listen to you and you to her. It's a dialogue that you want and if you have good skills it will come easy. Again, if you are good at communication there will be no need for a controlling spouse. Don't worry about the fact that you are the stay home dad, there are plenty of stay at home Dads out there today. Just enjoy your son and make sure dinner is ready when your wife gets home (Just kidding) seriously, just make sure you put some time aside for the two of you each week, go to dinner, movie or just sit and talk. Good luck.
Please click ACCEPT and leave FEEDBACK when you are satisfied.