Anna
Anna, Social Worker
Experience:  29 years experience in addictions & mental health. I'll tell you my honest opinion.
20023641

My daughters fiance has told her he no longer wants to marry

My daughter's fiance has told her he no longer wants to marry her only wants to be friends. They are buying a one bedroomed flat together(it is a joint mortgage)so my daughter is moving out and he is staying. He has said he will buy her out but will pay all the mortgage, as my daughter will have to rent a flat and cannot afford both. What immediate steps should my daughter take. Thanks.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer

If the sale of the flat isn't finalized, then she should do whatever it takes to get out of the contract, and not enter into the mortgage with him. She may not be able to get any of the earnest money back, but it will be worth it. She will be liable to pay the loan if she doesn't get out of it, and then when she does go on to buy her own property in the future, it will still show up on her credit rating which will lower her ability to get a mortgage.

If she has already closed on the sale and loan, then she needs to seek a lawyer to handle the sale to the ex-fiance and get her name off it that way. This is the kind of thing that can really bite her in the rear ten years from now.

Today is the day to start unravelling this joint venture! I'm sorry this happened to your daughter, but better now than later. I've counseled quite a few who went through the marriage knowing they didn't want to, and it always causes heartache. She'll be glad to have your help.

Thanks for the chance to answer your question today.

Anna