Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Counselor
Experience:  PHD LPC

For Cher... Hi I need to know how to have a good relationship

For Cher... Hi I need to know how to have a good relationship with my 26 year old daughter when I can't stand how she doesn't place importance on anything .. like her money is thrown in her purse, pills are emptied in her purse because she did't put the lid back on correctly. Her expensive jewelry is lying around half of the time on the floor or laid near the sink. Clothes on the floor after she gets them back from the cleaners. Credit cards in the bottom of her purse because she is too lazy to put them in her wallet. I am never in a good mood when I visit because I end up mad at her for being so irresponsible. How can I overlook this without losing IT. It's driving our relationship in the wrong direction.She is way too old to be doing this. She wouldn't know if she was ever missing a thing. HELP
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 6 years ago.
Hi, Unfortunately Cher is not around this particular segment of just answer since the rules of the site have changed. It's unfortunate in her case because she is very good at this. If you would like for me to answer this question please let me know and I'll be glad to help you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay. Thank You.
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 6 years ago.
Hi and welcome

Okay, she is 26, an adult and unorganized. Visiting her puts you in a bad mood. This unorganized behavior suggests that she either has no regard for order or is just too "busy" to be bothered to keep things neat and orderly. There are people who go through life like this. If this really gets to you and puts you in a bad mood you have to keep telling yourself that she is an adult now and can be as messy as she wants. Of course, as a parent you you may worry about how she will be able to function but unless you want to have a realtionship that is strained you need to let her take on her own problems. If she asks for help from you give it. Until then you have to accept things the way they are. If she is happy with herself the way she is, then you should let it rest. If you feel like you are losing it when you visit you can either not visit as often or meet her elsewhere.
Please click ACCEPT and leave FEEDBACK when you are satisfied