Dr Rossi
Dr Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Author, 13+years of experience.

Ive been married for almost 16 years--my husband has clinical

Customer Question

I've been married for almost 16 years--my husband has clinical depression is on medication for it (which he claims helps to level out his moods). He drinks between 4-8 beers a night. He is rather hostile and cynical as well, and lately he seems to do is criticize me. The other night he blew up because I had a friend stop by to pick up something I had brought home to work, and I had forgotten to tell him. Apparently, I have to ask him permission to have people stop by. I have had to endure his moods of anger and I don't want to tip toe around him. I restrained from saying much the other night because my son was there, but my husband doesn't seem to think anything is wrong. I have tried to stick with him in hopes he will improve, but I really don't feel like he's going to change any further...Maybe I just need to vent...
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr Rossi replied 7 years ago.

Good Evening,

Venting is good (although, it does not change much) With his history of depression and of what you are reporting substance abuse, change on his part (may either take too long if he is willing to get help, or it may not occur because he may not see anything wrong with his attitude)

Unfortunately depression may predispose someone to use alcohol (in a way to self medicate or dull the unpleasant emotions he may be experiencing other wise) In addition, alcohol is a depressant (it may make him feel better for a while but then when the effect wears off, the person would feel more depressed) Irritability and anger are also common in someone who is depressed.

What may be helpful is some therapy for him, family counseling and possibly finding support groups in your area. Of course, he has to play a willing part in all of this.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry been offline, my kiddo's been sick...I don't know about the couseling, he's been there...seems he just gets to a boiling point, let's his steam go, then acts all nice again--I know the cycle...oh well, anyway, thank you!
Expert:  Dr Rossi replied 7 years ago.
Yes, it can be very hard (sometimes it makes a difference from counselor to counselor; of course he will still be the one working on himself) Maybe he could try and see about Intensive Outpatient Counseling (this is provided at many facilities) It generally involves about 3-4 times per week for about 3 hours a day and the individual may receive one on one counseling, group therapy and if the program has a psychiatrist medication monitoring. You may be inquire about a list of these from your insurance.