Anna
Anna, Social Worker
Experience:  29 years experience in addictions & mental health. I'll tell you my honest opinion.
20023641

my wife and i have been seperated for 7 months.She left on

my wife and i have been seperated for 7 months.She left on her own accord.she as just seen a solicitor,and as been told we should split the sale of house 60% 40% in her favour,due to her claming disability allowance.this makes her unable to work 16hours a week.She lives in rented and gets housing benefits.This 60-40 split would give her a better restart,as i earn more money.I am 58yrs old and not long to retire,i would expect to need just as good as restart as her.She is 48 and as longer to work than me.Thanks if you can shed some light on this situation
Hi Aspire,

I wonder if you went to your own solicitor you might hear a different story. You guys can come to any agreement you want to, and if you can't, then the courts will - so it's another thing to work into the equation: how much money would you spend fighting about it?

Another thing coming into play might be the disparity of your income if there is one.

If a 10% sway in her favor would solve the whole situation today, I would recommend going for it and moving on...how much money would that really be? Is it something that would tie you up emotionally by fighting it? Only you can answer that.

One thing I tell my separating clients: The end of a marriage is an emotional issue. A divorce is a legal one: try not to mix the two up - it won't work.

I hope I've been able to shed some different light on your thoughts tonight.

Anna