Dr Rossi
Dr Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Author, 13+years of experience.
19260254

I have been with my guy for two and a half years but in the

I have been with my guy for two and a half years but in the last half year or so things started deteriorating. We are very different people and used to enjoy the fact that we were opposites, but now he just complains that we don't have the same hobbies. We broke up a month or two ago as I couldn't handle him complaining anymore. Just as I was starting to feel good about myself again he told me that he wanted to try again. He told me that he was absolutely sure about his decision and said he could see me with him for the rest of his life. Then things started going really bad for him at work and he spiraled into depression. This is only two weeks later, but he has completely changed, says that he 'wants to be alone' and does not want to think about relationships...that I should move on and he doesn't want to hurt me anymore. I am very hurt as I believed him when he said he wanted to get back together for good. I want to make it work but he won't let me, what should I do?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr Rossi replied 5 years ago.

Good Morning,

It seems that he would have to put his priorities in order and figure out what he wants to do himself.

It is acceptable for couples to have different hobbies and interests. If they always liked the same activities that would lead to boredom.

You could tell him that he ought to figure out what he wants to do and not be in this roller coaster which is unhealthy. Meanwhile, you could engage in some soul searching yourself and let him know that is what you're doing.

The two of you could also go to a couple's counselor if that is something you both want to try.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

He has decided to take a week's break from me with no contact. I'm not sure if I should just move on or stay having feelings for him. He won't give me a straight answer whether he wants to try again after he feels better. I think he may be affected by his depression...should i still wait or just let go?

Expert:  Dr Rossi replied 5 years ago.
Only you can answer whether or not you want to wait. Since a week is not such a long time, if you decide to give it a chance, then you would at least know that after the week is over that you can move on as well. Once someone decides what they want, they usually go after it.
Dr Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience: Certified Hypnotherapist, Author, 13+years of experience.