Dr Rossi
Dr Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Author, 13+years of experience.

Hi. I have been dating one guy for about 4-5 months. He is

Customer Question

Hi. I have been dating one guy for about 4-5 months. He is a working musician and is away a lot. So we haven't spend the "usual" amount of dating time together

However, recently, by accident, I saw his email and saw that he was flirting with a couple of women who had come to shows. He also had his profile still available on the website where we'd met. When I confronted him, he said that he was, of course, embarrassed and sorry and that he'd never actually crossed the physical line. I told him that it was unacceptable to me and that he if he wished to be in a relationship with me he'd have to stop. I did say if this was a sign that he'd like to see other people, he should be straight with me. He told me he has done this before - he thinks it may be fear..he's never had a really long term relationship. I told him I'd forgive him - once - and we would work on the relationship. He said he'd like to because he knows we have something special. Was I foolish to say I'd continue?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr Rossi replied 7 years ago.

Good Afternoon,

You had not done anything wrong in confronting him. As far as should you continue with the relationship, that is something you have to decide. The factors that will play a role it his are-

do you think you can trust him

are you willing to stick around and see what kind of a guy he is

and will you be ok with yourself if he turns out to be unreliable/untruthful.

It is normal to give someone a chance but after that, they ought to prove themselves.

Musicians do travel a lot and if you are always going to wonder what is taking place while he is away, then that is not healthy.

In addition, it does not seem appropriate that after he had started dating you that he should still keep his profile on that website and encourage other women to keep in touch with him.