Dr Rossi
Dr Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Author, 13+years of experience.

My fiance gambles using online poker. He had an issue with

My fiance gambles using online poker. He had an issue with it a couple of years ago (about $2000 a month), and then he stopped. He recently started back up again, which I realized after he asked me to check something in his email (really, I wasn't snooping) while he was at work. He promised me way back when that it was just for fun, and that he wouldn't do it again. So now that he is, what do I do? Is this a deal-breaker? I really do think he has issues with gambling. If he's not tempted, then he's ok. But when he re-downloaded the poker program on the computer, he played for "free" for a few weeks, and then fell back into it. I don't want to waste my time with someone who A. Doesn't respect me enough to follow through with promises. or B. Is not willing to admit/get help for a serious issue. Help!
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr Rossi replied 7 years ago.

Good Afternoon,

Gambling is a serious concern and his untruthful behaviors as well.

There is help out there for addictive behaviors such as hypnosis and counseling but he will have to be willing to seek help. You can only encourage him and perhaps set some limits with him. Addictions are hard to break but not impossible. It just takes effort and willingness on the part of the addicted person.

If trust is an issue in this area and his lack of respect to you, you may want to do some soul searching to figure out what is in for you from this relationship.