Dr Rossi
Dr Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Author, 13+years of experience.
19260254

Ive been with my boyfriend for a year and Im starting to

Customer Question

I've been with my boyfriend for a year and I'm starting to have this problem.. he always wants be around his friends more than he wants to be wit me. Always wants to do all these things with them but won't do the same things with me. Idk wat that means but its drivin me crazy. I love him and I kno he loves me too. But idk wat to do to make him more comfortable with me. Help?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr Rossi replied 7 years ago.
Good Morning,
What you are describing is not unusual. In the beginning of each relationship people are in somewhat of a honey moon stage-they need each other, can not get enough of each other, everything seems perfect etc. As this stage wears off, there may be changes in the relationship as well (one the you have already described - his desire to spend time with his friends) He may have become comfortable within the relationship and feels that you will be there for him and that you trust him at this point. At times like the song says "even lovers need a holiday from each other..."
A mature relationship can allow for autonomy for each partner. An unhealthy one on the other hand is a relationship in which partners are enmeshed and or possessive of each other.