Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Counselor
Experience:  PHD LPC

i have been in a relationship for three years. we broke up

Customer Question

i have been in a relationship for three years. we broke up for a couple weeks a few months ago. a little bit before we broke up i started to have feelings for this guy i've known for awhile. we both started to really like each other but i ended up backing out and going back to my boyfriend because i was afraid of losing my bestfriend. now that im back with my boyfriend iknow i want to be with him even though we still occasionally argue about things we shouldn't argue about. but everyday this guy is always in the back of my mind i often find my self smiling while thinking about him and i lately i have been having dreams about him. so i am just really confused about what my subconcious is telling me
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 7 years ago.

It's always hard when a person is dealing with feelings that have not been explored. If you are sure you are suppose to be with your current boyfriend then you made a conscious decision. If you are smiling at the thoughts of the other guy, it's quite normal as are the dreams. You met someone else and like all new relationships it was mutual attraction, fun and something new. Once you decided to go back, you left this relationship that was still new and exciting and both of you were on your "best" behavior as you explored a new type of relationship with him. You didn't know him the way you know your boyfriend. I would suggest that you not worry about the dreams and thoughts of him. Keep the lines of communication open between you and your boyfriend.
Dr. Keane
Please click ACCEPT and leave FEEDBACK when you are satisfied. I am available for follow-up if needed.