Walter
Walter, Relationship Mentor
Experience:  Mentoring couples on relationship issue and self understanding. (JA's Relationship Mentor)
997364

My 53 year old boyfrend passed away. I am a woman. We are

My 53 year old boyfrend passed away. I am a woman. We are Jewish but not religious.   The problem is what to put on the headstone to designate our relationship. We lived together for over a year.
His family is involved, and they don't want anything that would make it look like a gay relationship, which it was not. The headstone will probably read something like this:

First name Last name
Beloved brother, uncle and ???????????????
dates from - to

Is the appropriate word companion? Life partner? Significant other? I don't particularly want my name there since I am still alive. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Walter replied 7 years ago.

Companion would appear like he was gay, as would life partner. The fact that you were together for a year would not dictate a life partner regardless. The most tasteful addition would "Friend" while it does not specifically dictate a relationship it does imply there was someone that was very close. At the base of all relationships before marriage you are always friends so it would be appropriate and tasteful.

You can also consider Significant other, though it could be interpreted as a lifestyle issue. Of course you could put Beloved Brother, Uncle and Boyfriend but it is a little tacky on the headstone.

At the end of the day, who were you to him............were you his friend, his partner or his companion. While the word friend may seem less loving the reality is you were his closest friend in ways no others were so using the term friend fits what you need and what you were to him.

Walter