Cher
Cher, Relationship Enthusiast
Experience:  Extensive experience as Educator/Teacher, M.A., Counselor, Spouse, Parent, Psychic Advisor
1470369

Hi I really need to get my ex back!

Customer Question

I am in a tricky situation. My boyfriend and i split up in July because hes depressed at the moment and said that he felt like I was controlling him, he was unable to give me what I want and didnt want to hurt me. We still live together now and get on but now and again Ive caused issues by bringing it up. We have also slept with each other a few times and I know the attraction is still there. He has a 5yr old daughter from a previous r'ship who I love and get on with but his ex has a role to play in it all also. Due to both being part of a wedding they went to London for 2 weekends and have seen them gettin on a lot better recently. I found a scrap of paper with his feelings about her on it saying that he felt bad for being so rotten to her and wanted to make things right. She is seeing someone else and when I confronted him he said that he writes things down when he thinks them cos it helps him express his feelings, deal with it and overcome it. He said he thought that one day but couldnt be further from it another and hes done the same with me.he says doesnt want his ex back but just wants time on his own at the mo. I have until Jan when our house lease is up to prove to him that I want to be with him and we can make it work and was looking for advice on the matter. He really hasnt been himself recently and even though I feel hurt, I do believe that sometimes he may think it would be convenient to return to his ex and daughter, he knows deep down that it can never work, that he still loves me but is confused on how to make everything in his life balance.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hi, and thanks for your question.

May I ask your ages?

How long have you been together with your boyfriend?

How long had he been married?

Thanks,
Cher
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi cher,

Im 26 and hes 34. We have been together just over 18mths and he was never married before but in a relationship for 7yrs (4 being for the sake of his daughter)

Another thing to add is that has regrets over his behaviour then and feels guilty for the way his behaviour affected his ex and his daughter so he hasnt been able to accept things and move on properly.

Thanks
Diane
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hi again, Diane, and thanks for requesting me and for your response.

Please give me a short while to send you a detailed answer.

Thanks,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hi again, Diane, and thanks for your patience.

It sounds like he is a very introspective man, which for some, can be a blessing and for others, distressing. He's really over-thinking things making himself (and you) miserable, with his feelings of guilt and inability to decide where he wants to go from here.

Because he's having such a hard time making this decision by himself, it might be a good idea for him to get an unbiased opinion from a counselor he can see in person by himself, and/or with you. Couples counselors can be very beneficial in guiding a person such as your ex in the best direction for him, emotionally.

Thinking he's being drawn back into feelings for his ex is most likely due to the connection re: his daughter, and the fact that they
were 'thrown' together because of the weddings you mentioned.

I think he really is torn re: his feelings for you, most likely due to feelings of guilt, over not being together with his daughter's mother, but as you said, and I agree, he really has no intention of getting back together with her.

All you can do at this time is reassure him of your love for him and that you will support him in whatever he decides to do.

Seeing a counselor in person, should help him with the decisions he needs to make, and remove some of the angst, confusion and guilt he's feeling now, so encouraging him to see an experienced counselor/therapist on his own or with you, would be a good next step.

Your job is just to continue to be supportive of him and validate his feelings, so he knows you want what's best for him, and that includes continuing your relationship with him.

I hope everything works out for both of you.

Cher
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi again,

I have discussed the fact that he should speak to someone to help but he has asked me to leave it be, that he doesnt want advice from others or to take anything but just wants to work things out on his own. I have respected this and backed off recently because the last thing I want to be doing is ignoring his feelings and making it worse.

he has now faced up to the fact that he is depressed because of me but I dont really want to start suggesting help again because he was really annoyed at me last time. Are there any other ways of doing taht perhaps less obvious?
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.