Cher, Relationship Enthusiast
Experience:  Extensive experience as Educator/Teacher, M.A., Counselor, Spouse, Parent, Psychic Advisor

Is there anything wrong with dating or marrying a third cousin His

Is there anything wrong with dating or marrying a third cousin?
His grandfather and mine were brothers.
His mother and my father were 1st cousins.
I would like to know the legallity and moral standpoints
as far as the law is concerned.
Thank you.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hi,Customer and thanks for your question.

From a moral standpoint, dating only, of course, is much different from marrying a third cousin, but it could lead to marriage, so I understand you why you're asking this. The morality of it, is a very personal issue and different people would have different views on the subject. If you don't care that people know you are third cousins, or don't advertise that fact to non-family members, there will be no moral judgment.

To understand the legal ramifications, you would need to contact an attorney in your State who could let you know if there are any laws on the books prohibiting this; the rules vary from State to State, but some laws are very old and antequated.

However, one concern you should keep in mind, is since you do share a common genetic background, if you were to marry and plan to have children, it would be a good idea to seek prior genetic counseling, to find out the chances of any genetic or hereditary birth defects and/or pregnancy/delivery complications.

I hope things work out for you and wish you much good luck!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

he is 60 yrs old and im 54 yrs old.

we are both widows.

i was hoping you could tell me the legal aspects of this situation .

we live in north carolina.

we are not planning a family.

we both have children from our former marriages.

now can you clarify this question?

we are third cousins so what is the answer?

Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hi again, and thanks very much for providing some helpful and additional information regarding your ages, and that you have already had your children.

No State can prevent cousins from 'dating', as that would compromise your Constitutional rights. North Carolina permits 'first' cousins to marry, unless they are "double first cousins" (cousins through more than one genetic line--like if both your mothers AND fathers were related, in your family history), so, being third cousins, you are permitted to marry. The major legalities and rules governing these situations is to prevent genetic defects, if the couple should decide to have children; since this is irrelevant to your particular situation, you can proceed as you wish.

I wish you both much happiness!