Cher, Relationship Enthusiast
Experience:  Extensive experience as Educator/Teacher, M.A., Counselor, Spouse, Parent, Psychic Advisor

Last summer, I broke up with my ex boyfriend of 2 years. It

Customer Question

Last summer, I broke up with my ex boyfriend of 2 years. It was a long distance relationship, and I only saw him when he was in town, and since he lived in another country, that meant the summer we met, the following summer, Christmas, and this last summer. This summer, he's back in town, but I have a boyfriend. He wants to meet up for lunch, but I don't know if I should. We talk like we're friends, but there's still a feeling of doubt that he 'just wants to be friends.' Is this acceptable? Should I go to lunch with him?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer and thanks for your question.

If you broke up with your ex boyfriend last summer, and now you are involved with someone else, if you feel there's an 'agenda' (other reason) for him wanting to meet for lunch, your hunch is most likely correct. If you feel uncomfortable about his possible intentions, you can tell him you're just too busy at this time, to meet with him, but it was great of him to get in touch with you, and you wish him a great rest of the summer. If you continue to talk on the phone, etc., as friends, that's fine, if you're comfortable with it.

I think your current boyfriend wouldn't be too anxious for you to meet with him, either, so it's best to let sleeping dogs lie, as they say.

I hope all goes well.