Cher, Relationship Enthusiast
Experience:  Extensive experience as Educator/Teacher, M.A., Counselor, Spouse, Parent, Psychic Advisor

My girlfriend of 6 years and fiance of 6 months has left me

Customer Question

My girlfriend of 6 years and fiance of 6 months has left me and been gone for 7 weeks. She was not happy with some of my behavior but as recently as 3 days ago, adnitted she still loves me and knows that the situation is unresolved...she said she needs time and space and I am trying my hardest to give it to her while she stays at a friends with her daughter (14) who i have been a father to for this time. She recently experienced the loss of her grandfather who she was very close with. She is 41 I am 34. I'm trying to figure out if waiting this out is the right thing to do or if i should move on? I feel both ways a lot and with this level of uncertainty and unresolve, I feel there is still a good chance. Am I crazy?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear about your recent split from your fiance, and you're certainly not crazy to think there still may be a chance for reconciliation. However, it would depend on what your behavior was, that made her unhappy.

It's great that she said she still loves you, and if you can get together to talk things out (more than one meeting might be necessary), you can try to change some of the behaviors (within reason) which made her want to separate. I'm sure that the loss of her grandfather has taken a tremendous emotional toll on her, and this may have impacted the stability of your relationship.

If you feel there is a good chance for you to get back together, you should go for it, and hopefully, you will both be happy. This process may be facilitated by an experienced couples counselor, so ask her if she would be willing to go to counseling with you, to try to save/repair your relationship.

I wish you much good luck and hope things work out the way you want them to.