Cher
Cher, Relationship Enthusiast
Experience:  Extensive experience as Educator/Teacher, M.A., Counselor, Spouse, Parent, Psychic Advisor
1470369

Hello. Me and my fiance got engaged early this year. I am 21

Customer Question

Hello. Me and my fiance got engaged early this year. I am 21 years old and I work and go to school, both full time. When we first got engaged I was taking a bread from school so I had more time to go over. His parents were very nice and caring. All of a sudden, one day, I had a coversation with his Mom on where we are planning to live when we get married (Summer of next year). Where we have planned to live is only 7-10 minutes away from there house. She blew off at me and said that we can only settle down in the same city that they live in. I was in total shock and tried to explain as calmly as possible that the city they live in is way too far from my work/school and we have decided on an area that will be convenient for bot me and my fiance. Since then things have not been the same. Like she has a grudge against me. She has been telling my fiance things like I have changed after the engagement, that if 1 thing does not go my way I will end up divorcing him, etc.. what should I do??
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.

Your fiance's mother was really out of line when she made this comment to you. You and her son made this decision about where to live, based on it's proximity to both your jobs, and your school. A 7-10 minute drive to visit his parents and/or for them to visit you, is certainly not considered a 'long' drive. Many parents would love for their married children to live so close!

It would not be inappropriate for you to ask your fiance's mother (or your fiance) if there's a specific reason why she said she wants you to live in the same city as them. While I can understand how a 7-10 minute drive can bring you into another city (town), different zipcode, etc., certainly the *distance* from his parents' house cannot be disputed as the reason she doesn't want you to live where you have chosen.

The other negative things she has been saying to her son about you, are totally inappropriate. If he has shared these things his mother has said, it's obvious he doesn't believe them, and you're still engaged, you're still in love, and that's wonderful. It's a shame when an in-law (or future in-law) has to meddle in this potentially destructive way. You're going to have to be careful with your conversations with his mother/parents in the future. Don't offer any information, and try to always speak to her when your fiance is present, so he can defend your 'collective' position on the subject, for you both.

Just remember, you're marrying your fiance, not his mother. All you can do, is continue to be yourself, don't say anything to set her off (I wouldn't bring up where you'll be living at all, in the future), and keep your visits short.

I wish you and your fiance much good luck!

Cher

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do you think this will be the cause of them finding more drama though? I didn't call or go over the past 2 weeks because I was tired and stressed from full time work and summer school finals. This is when she started talking all this crap about me. Because I talked to her about the house situation after that day and we supposedly came to an understanding. But these two weeks I didn't go and she started to be pessimistic and try to brainwash him. Another thing she blames me in is that my fiance actually speaks up now and gives his opinion. They claim that he would never talk and did as they wished. He has explained to them that it is a time in his life where he needs to give his opinion and make decisions since he is starting his own life and building his own home.
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.