TherapistMaryAnn, Counselor
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues

My girlfriend has been clinically diagnosed with depression

Customer Question

My girlfriend has been clinically diagnosed with depression and I dont know what to do to help her, she gets really frustrated with me because I seem to be giving her the wrong advise on how to deal with things that make her unhappy, I desperately need advise on how to save our relationship and how to make her happy again, please help...
Category: Relationship
Expert:  KimberlyF replied 7 years ago.

-Has she gotten on any medication?

-How long has she shown the signs of depression?

-In what ways does she seem unhappy?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes she is on meds, she has been showing symptoms for a few years now and she is normally happy but when nobody is around she tells me that she almost wishes she died but she doesnt want to hurt herself, I dont know what to do anymore, friggin doctors dont seem to help much beside feeding her up on pills that seem to make her addicted to taking them. We almost broke up today because she felt that Im in a closed box and dont understand her. She has a beautiful nature but this is getting bad...
Expert:  KimberlyF replied 7 years ago.

I'm sorry you're going through this ordeal but it sounds like you need to talk to one of our mental health experts they have more expertise on how to deal with this and some things you can do to help her. Please let me know what you want me to do and I will be happy to do so?