Cher, Relationship Enthusiast
Experience:  Extensive experience as Educator/Teacher, M.A., Counselor, Spouse, Parent, Psychic Advisor

i feel like my husband hates me

Customer Question

i feel like my husband hates me
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer and thanks for your question.

Can you explain your situation a little more?

How long have you been married?

May I ask your ages (you and your husband)?

Do you have any children?

Why do you think your husband hates you? Can you give some specific examples?

Thanks for all your additional detail.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

i have been married for 38 years.

i am 58 and my husband will be 60

we have 3 children

he always yells at me using terrible words

Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hello again, and thanks for your reply with additional information.

Sometimes, husbands and wives will argue or yell at each other, and this is not uncommon in most marriages; however, if your husband always yells at you and uses terrible words or calls you names much of the time, there is an underlying problem in your marriage which needs to be resolved.

If you are unable to resolve these issues on your own, it would be a good idea to seek the help of an experienced marriage counselor, so the underlying problems can be identified, how you communicate with your husband can be better understood, and then you will be given helpful ways to deal with, and resolve these problems.

For the moment, when your husband yells at you, say calmly: "please stop yelling and using these terrible words; I'm your wife and you are not treating me with respect. When you become calmer, we can discuss this (whatever he was yelling about)."

If this is a recent behavior for your husband, it also might be recommended that he sees his personal physician for a physical exam, because an underlying medical or emotional problem may be causing him him pain, discomfort, depression, etc., and that's why he's on edge and yells at you.

I hope things improve for you, soon.