KimberlyF, Longtime Relationship Expert
Experience:  Relationship expert for almost three years with

My boss and I have a close relationship. Close as in we are

My boss and I have a close relationship. Close as in we are buddies. Sometimes I get the feeling he wants to be more than friends. Everyone around us gets this vibe as well. However, just recently he has asked me to back off his personal space when we are at work. I did not realize I was even doing this as I am normally an affectionate person. He however is not the physical type of person, ie no hugs, no pat on the back, no pushing or shoving. i understand the need to be professional, so i guess my question is does he really want to be more than friends and how should I react to him when I am at work. The only way I know how to deal with this is to just avoid him altogether. I told him this and he says he does not mind that I do it at all. Just not around certain people like new employees or our managment peers. I am so confused and hurt. Please help me figure out how to react to this.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  KimberlyF replied 7 years ago.

I would avoid contact period especially at work because it could be seen the wrong way and someone might charge either of you with sexual harassment on the job and that is what he is afraid of, you don't want that to happen. It's really important that you leave relationships outside of work. I wouldn't have physical contact with him at all while you are at work. It's best to tell him that the way that he said hurt your feelings and that you understand why but the way it was said hurt your feelings. I would keep your relationship at work purely professional and if you want to get together after work that is another story. Don't avoid him because that will put a strain on not only your personal relationship but your professional relationship even though you are not dating it still hurt your feelings because he already knows what type of person you are and that you like to show affection but others in the office or on the job may not see it that innocently and may take offense to it even though it isn't happening to them some people will try to get higher up on the latter at the cost to anyone and that is why he wants you to show a more professional attitude at work.