KimberlyF, Longtime Relationship Expert
Experience:  Relationship expert for almost three years with

I have recently lost my husband to cancer but am ready to get

I have recently lost my husband to cancer but am ready to get out there and go on with my life. My question is, I am interested in a particular man and want to know the proper way to let him know and possibly go out with him.
Is it improper to make the first move?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  KimberlyF replied 7 years ago.

Nowadays it's okay for the women to make the first move but it also depends on how comfortable you are doing so and what type of man he is if he is old fashioned or okay with modern ways of dating. It's hard when you've been married to just get back out there and start dating so just make sure that you are completely comfortable dating again and won't feel like you are cheating on your husband. Also date guys that you have things in common with think of 5 to 10 characteristics you want in a man and if that guy doesn't meet at least half of your list don't bother dating them you cannot change anyone nor should you have to, make sure they are up to your standards and one crucial thing to think about don't compare every guy you date to your husband more than likely they are not going to measure up to him so set your own standards as to what type of man you want and are looking for. What you should do at first is get to know him through small talk and then when you feel comfortable enough ask him if he would like to go to dinner or a movie. Whatever you are comfortable asking him to do on a first date think about doing something you both like to do so one isn't bored and the date goes south.