Cher
Cher, Relationship Enthusiast
Experience:  Extensive experience as Educator/Teacher, M.A., Counselor, Spouse, Parent, Psychic Advisor
1470369

What is the protocol for Baby Showers Should they be hosted

Customer Question

What is the protocol for Baby Showers? Should they be hosted by the mother of the expectant mother? Or, should they be hosted by the mother-in-law of expectant mother? Or, should they be hosted by an aunt/cousin/friend of the mother-to-be? What, exactly, are the rules??
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.

The baby shower can really be thrown by anyone close to the expectant mother. The mother, mother-in-law, aunt, cousin, friends may choose to throw the shower. There really aren't any rules. If the mother of the pregnant woman chooses to throw the shower, she should take precedence. If both the mother and mother in law want to throw it, jointly, that would be nice, as long as they get along well, and can make mutual decisions without arguing.

In some cases, friends and/or co-workers can host a separate baby shower for the expectant mother, and then the 'family' can host a shower at another time. In this way, everyone close to the mother to be will be invited, but it doesn't have to be a 'giant' party with too many people, to be fun.

If relatives/friends are arguing over who should throw the bridal shower, the mother to be (if it's not a surprise) should make the ultimate decision, but not if it will cause her stress.

Cher
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Dear Cher:

I'm sorry, you had my attention until the very last paragraph, "If relatives/friends are arguing over who should throw the BRIDAL Shower ..." It is NOT a Bridal Shower. It is a BABY Shower! Perhaps you need another cup of coffee to get focused because you don't seem quite awake, yet.

Can you respond and explain and/or advise me of any options that might be available to me if this first reply does not satisfy?
Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.
Hello again,Customer and thanks for your reply.

I apologize for the 'typo' in the last paragraph of my answer. I was very well focused, and only because the words 'bridal shower' also naturally go together so often, I made an error in my typing. Please be assured that I was very well aware I was referring to a BABY shower in my response.   : )

The only options I can advise, are those already recommended. There is more information about Baby Shower 'etiquette' at the following website, which I believe you will find helpful:

http://www.babyzone.com/pregnancy/shower/babyshowers.asp

As you can see, it's appropriate nowadays, for close friends and/or relatives to host the baby shower for the mother to be. The only thing that is *not* appropriate, is for the expectant mom to host the shower herself.

Please let me know your thoughts and if you would like to discuss this further.

I do hope you find my answers helpful, but if you should not, please let me know, and do not click 'accept'. Thanks.

Cher