How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Cher Your Own Question

Cher, Relationship Enthusiast
Category: Relationship
Satisfied Customers: 21168
Experience:  Extensive experience as Educator/Teacher, M.A., Counselor, Spouse, Parent, Psychic Advisor
Type Your Relationship Question Here...
Cher is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently (11/1/08) married an american woman. I am German.

Resolved Question:

I recently (11/1/08) married an american woman. I am German. We just filed for my paperwork with immigration for permanent Residence. Green card was approved and will be processed in the next 90 days.
Now I figured out that my wife is on drugs. She is my mayor sponsor even though I have another financial sponsor.
With me knowing she is using drugs and her not willing to check in for Rehab, I wonder what my legal status is. As I am not willing to accept her using illegal drugs and she won't allow me to help her I want a divorce. How long do I have to stay married in order fo me to not loose my greencard status? Or can I live separated from her till she is going through rehab. I don't want to get in trouble with the law.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing this problem, finding out your wife is taking illegal drugs. It's important that you either convince her to go to rehab, or have a relative or close friend of hers convince her to do this, because if she doesn't, her health will be severely compromised.

While I understand you not wanting to be married to your wife if she is a drug addict, you have to decide if you are truly in love with her and want to help her in the best way you know how, or if you want to leave her. If your green card has not yet been received, although you have applied, you would be putting your status in jeopardy if you were to leave her or file for divorce, so that would not be a good idea. You can find out more about your particular situation, without giving your name, by calling 1-888-988-8678.

Can you get your wife to go to an addictions counselor or therapist, to try to help her get off the drugs and to save your marriage. If she won't go to someone, can you have a counselor come to your home? This would be your best course of action at this time.

I wish you much good luck and hope you're able to help your wife and preserve your marriage.

Cher and other Relationship Specialists are ready to help you

Related Relationship Questions