Cher
Cher, Relationship Enthusiast
Experience:  Extensive experience as Educator/Teacher, M.A., Counselor, Spouse, Parent, Psychic Advisor
1470369

ive been flirting with someone for a long time and it seems

i've been flirting with someone for a long time and it seems that person is flirting back at me, but i am not sure if he is interested in me or not. how can you tell if someone is truly interested in you or if they are just playing games other than asking the obvious question if they like you or are willing to go out with you? are there any subtle clues that i should be aware of before putting myself out on a limb and facing rejection?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hello again, and welcome back to Just Answer.

In a situation like you describe, if the person were genuinely interested in you and in getting to know you better, I think his flirting would begin to slowly proceed past the 'only flirting' stage.

He would make more of an effort to seek you out, be in the same places as you (if he knows the usual places you frequent), and make excuses to speak to you/spend time with you.

I understand why you would not want to put yourself out on a limb, and risk rejection, but if the flirting has been going on for a long time, as you mentioned, he may be feeling the same way, and is afraid to ask YOU out, for fear you would reject HIM. If you don't want to ask him out or let him know you're interested in more than flirting, and helping gear this toward a more substantial relationship, you'll have to continue to be patient and hopefully, he'll take a few hints you can drop, to let him know you'd like to go out with him.

I hope things work out the way you want them to, and wish you much good luck!

Cher