KimberlyF, Longtime Relationship Expert
Experience:  Relationship expert for almost three years with

Is my girlfriend insecure 1) She never switched to her

Is my girlfriend insecure?     1) She never switched to her maiden name after her divorce 12 years ago. 2) She keeps her passport, social insurance number, Driving License, Citizenship and Medical card with her ex-husband name. We are planning to marry and she still wants to keep her ex-husband's name, stating that it's too difficult to make all these changes. Is that a sign of insecurity, stubborness or is she is still living her past? Should I force the issue or let it rest and continue as if I'm not worried about it?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  KimberlyF replied 7 years ago.

No that doesn't mean she is insecure alot of women keep their maiden name because it's just too much to change over like credit cards, Insurance, Drivers License, Social Security cards and important documents and also if they have children they do not want the children to have different names than them. What you are going to have to do is talk this out before getting married if her changing her name is XXXXX XXXXX to you then you need to work these things out before the actually marriage. Maybe even think about a Couples Counselor before the marriage to help mediate this so that the two of you can find common ground on this issue. If it bothers you then you have to let your feelings be know but it's important for you to handle this now or else it would only carry on into the marriage.