Cher, Relationship Enthusiast
Experience:  Extensive experience as Educator/Teacher, M.A., Counselor, Spouse, Parent, Psychic Advisor

is it normal for my girlfriend to see her x boyfriends kids

is it normal for my girlfriend to see her x boyfriends kids on a regular basis, and for them to celebrate mothers day with her and call her mom when she is not their mom.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.

No, it's not 'normal', nor is it appropriate, for your girlfriend to see her ex-boyfriend's children on a steady basis, and for them to call her 'mom', especially if their biological mom is in the picture, and, also because she's not their mom.

All situations are different, and if her former boyfriend's kids got very attached to her and she acted in a 'mom' role, while she was with him, it's understandable that they would not want to 'break up' with her, even though their father did; however, if this bothers you, and it obviously does (I think you're absolutely right!) have a serious talk with her, let her know your feelings about this situation, and also let her know that whenever she sees his kids, she also sees him, and she's no longer WITH him, she's with YOU, now, so she shouldn't be seeing him or his kids at all. When she broke up with him, she DID break up with his kids, and they'll have to understand this. As their father, it's his obligation to explain it, and not make her the bad guy.

I hope things go well with your relationship.