Cher, Relationship Enthusiast
Experience:  Extensive experience as Educator/Teacher, M.A., Counselor, Spouse, Parent, Psychic Advisor

I was widowed several years ago. Feeling alone, I asked a

I was widowed several years ago. Feeling alone, I asked a female friend, which I had known for many years, to move in with me. She was down on her luck and was about to become homeless. She had no assets, but had family and friends locally. Our relationship has become tense lately and I was thinking of asking her to leave. Can she claim any of my assets under "Common Law"?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.

My belated condolences on the loss of your wife.

Your friend can most likely not claim any of your assets under 'common law', especially if you were together less than 7 years and everything is in your name, only. However, you'd have to consult a local attorney to find out for sure, especially if she threatens you with this claim.

It's a shame things didn't work out, but if you feel it's time to ask her to leave, you need to do what's best for you, at this time.

I wish you much good luck!