KimberlyF
KimberlyF, Longtime Relationship Expert
Experience:  Relationship expert for almost three years with JustAnswer.com

My ex boyfriend and I have been dating off and on for a year.

My ex boyfriend and I have been dating off and on for a year. He's dated three girls besides me this past year, while we were "off", and has said I Love You to all three of them even knowing them for only a month or so. I've known him for 2 years and my problem with him is that he's never told ME he loves me. He told me once the he didn't want to say unless he really felt it, but it' s hard for me to belive that when he told the other three he loved them. Through all of this we've remained friends. He was recently in jail for 1 1/2 months and told me the he had a lot of time to think and that he realized he had strong feelings for me, more than he had thought, he even told me he loved me and that I'm always there for him when everyone else isn't. My thing is, I don't know if I should believe him. Why did it take him going to jail to realize that he loves me? could it just be gratitude because i've stuck by him through everything?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  KimberlyF replied 5 years ago.
Customer

If his actions once he gets out don't match his words from jail then I would chalk it up to jail talk alot of men when they go to jail say things like that so that their girlfriends whom they didn't treat very well while out on the streets won't dessert them when they need them the most and he knows that is what you have wanted to hear from him and he knew that if he told you that you would wait it out with him and stick by him. If when he gets out his actions do not match what he said in jail I would walk away and never look back you deserve better than that.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
But is it possible for him to "realize" he loves me? we've always been very close, even while he dated the other girls we remained friends. We had never said I Love You to eachother. When he went to jail we were just friends and I had told him right when he went to jail that I'd be there for him as a friend no matter what. I just don't see why he would say that just so I can stick around when I already am.
Expert:  KimberlyF replied 5 years ago.
Customer

I would wait and see how he acts towards you when he gets out (if he hasn't already) and if he acts the same as his words then he meant it but him he gets out and it's the same thing different day then I would question him on why he said those things while he was in jail. If none of the other girls were there for him when he went in then I would be inclined to think it was because of gratitude that you stayed or maybe he did have a revelation when in jail and realized his feelings for you. Only time will tell!!!!

KimberlyF, Longtime Relationship Expert
Experience: Relationship expert for almost three years with JustAnswer.com