TherapistMaryAnn, Counselor
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues

This may seem minisicule. My boyfriend and I have been together

Customer Question

This may seem minisicule. My boyfriend and I have been together for 15 years and live together for 3 years. We different "takes" when it comes to cleaning and throwing away trash. For example, I put a pizza box in the trash that my boyfriend put on the floor. Now I don't like seeing anything that contains or contained food on the kitchen floor. So what I did was "crush" it the best way I could and put it in the trach can, which my boyfriend went behind me and took it back out the trash can. When I went back to the trash can to put something in it, I just put the pizza box on top of the trash lid. What can we do to solve this.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.

Have you discussed this with your boyfriend and asked him why he feels it's appropriate or necessary to place the pizza box on the kitchen floor, instead of in the trash can?

Has this always been the case, with the pizza box and other bulky pieces of trash, or is it a recent occurrence?

What is your set up where you live, re: trash pick up? Do you have to put out your trash bag on certain days, or do you have a dumpster outside, or a trash 'chute', if you live in a building?