I think you should stay and wait out the legal situation to have you become able to work and go to school in the US but marrying your boyfriend would help to speed that up but if he isn't quite ready then he isn't ready. I would give him some time before asking him again sometimes when you ask a man too many times they start to get gun shy about taking that step and it is a major step. I would give it another four to six months and then ask again and then make your decision from there. You don't want to throw away 8 years for something so minor as your boyfriend being afraid, he may want to wait until you are able to legally work and go to school here before making taking that major step, mentally you are both ready to marry but financially you are not this seems to be the only issue so that is what you will have to work on, there is nothing wrong with him being worry about whether you will be financially ready if you were to get married now. What is four to six months out of your life? If you do decide to leave because of his dragging his feet make sure you have given him every opportunity and time to think about the while situation before up and leaving, giving him time also means not mentioning the marriage issue for a while and then when the four to six month is up then talk to him about it again but explain to him now you moved to the US in hope of spending the rest of your life with him as man and wife not as roommates and see what he reply is.