Cher
Cher, Relationship Enthusiast
Experience:  Extensive experience as Educator/Teacher, M.A., Counselor, Spouse, Parent, Psychic Advisor
1470369

My ex boyfriend called me after a year, he broke up with me.

My ex boyfriend called me after a year, he broke up with me. I have not seen or talked to him since then. He said he misses me and we are planning to meet for lunch soon. I want him back, but is this a sign he wants me back??
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hi, and thanks for choosing Just Answer.

How long had you been together before you broke up?

What caused the break up?

Have you been dating over the past year?

Do you know if he has been seeing anybody?

Thanks for all your additional detail regarding your situation.

Cher
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We have known each other since 2000, but both liked each other but didnt know it. We were together for 5 months as boyfriend/girlfriend. We got closer and closer and each day went by and he started talking marriage last January. I heard a lot of people tell me that he liked his best friend more than me and I made the mistake of saying one day that he cared more about him than me and that's when our problems started. However, I told him when we spoke on Friday that I didn't mean it like that and he seemed to understand how I meant it. I was the only girl he had dated in quite a long time and have been told he has not been able to date again since me, he missed me too much and too upset we weren't together, so no he wasnt with anyone. I tried to date another guy, but it wasn't the same, I kept thinking of my ex.
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hi again,Customer and thanks for your reply with additional information.

Considering the circumstances, I think getting together with him for lunch is a great idea, and you can see what happens from there. If you both have not really dated seriously since breaking up, and you thought about each other so much that dating others just didn't happen and/or wasn't successful, then you do deserve a second chance to make it work.

In answer to your initial question, his calling and asking you to lunch may be an indication he wants you back, so play it cool, but honest, and if he tells you that he really missed you and thought of you all the time, etc., you can tell him you feel the same way. If he doesn't indicate he wants to get back together, just see how things go and decide how you want to proceed, afterward. There's nothing wrong with you saying something first, about seeing each other again, etc., but you should get a 'vibe' from your meeting and know whether you want to suggest that or not. If he says nothing, you can also play hard to get and just part 'friends', then decide if you want to call him another day and get together again.

I wish you much good luck and hope things work out the way you want them to.

Cher