Cher, Relationship Enthusiast
Experience:  Extensive experience as Educator/Teacher, M.A., Counselor, Spouse, Parent, Psychic Advisor

How do I handle seeing my ex-husband at a social event with

How do I handle seeing my ex-husband at a social event with his new girlfriend?
Hi, and thanks for your question.

How long have you been divorced?

What type of social event is this?

Have you met his girlfriend before?

Are you planning on going with someone?

Thanks for all your additional detail, and letting me know more about your situation.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We have been divorced for 3Yrs. It is a retirement Party for a mutual friend. I have met the girlfriend before she started seeing my ex-husband. I do not plan on taking a date.
Hello again, and thanks for your reply.

I'm assuming if there is 'assigned' seating, you will not be at his table, so you don't have to worry about that. I'm also assuming you'll know other people there, with whom you will interact, chat, etc., so if you happen to come face to face with him, say 'hello', and move on. If he or his girlfriend try to engage you in conversation, which I doubt, you can pretend a friend caught your eye, behind them, wave, and say, 'excuse me', then move in that general direction. You can also act as if your cell phone is ringing (vibrating) in your purse, or wherever you keep it, and say 'excuse me', and answer the phone/walk away. I don't think these tactics will be necessary, but in general, you are not expected, nor required to speak to your ex and his girlfriend, especially if the divorce was not amicable, but you don't want to appear to be avoiding them, either, so be a lady, briefly say hello, and if it comes to it, briefly say goodbye, and no other interaction is necessary.

Try to chat with people you know, and you might make new friends, if there are people at this party you haven't met before, and just be yourself.

If you would like to discuss this further, please let me know.