Ms Chase
Ms Chase, Life Coach
Experience:  Over 20 yrs experience with Relationships, Sexuality, Friendship, and Family Issues

My sister just died. Shed had gastric bypass approx. 5 years

My sister just died. She'd had gastric bypass approx. 5 years ago. She'd had some excess skin removed. She was anemic and had become depressed and started drinking. I've been reading about how this is a common issue with gastric bypass. Do you have any info on this subject? I want others to know that it is not the absolute answer. People who are depressed and/or have addition issues need psychiatric care in addition to the surgery. Thanks in advance for your assistance (FYI my sister was 32 years old).
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 7 years ago.
Hello Cynthia

This is true. Many people are undereducated about these types of surgery, particularly when the only thing they can think of is losing the weight. Have you considered writing some articles about it and submitting it to some publications? I'm sure there would be magazines, and especially some online sites that would definitely be interested in her story and what she went through. It's a side of bypass that many people don't see or know, expecting that once the weight is lost, everything will be fine. The fact is, many times weight gain is emotional, and just because someone loses the weight doesn't necessarily get rid of the emotional issue. I'm sorry you lost your sister, I can't imagine how that feels. However I do commend you for wanting to get the word out about what happened and share her story with others. Let me know if you want to talk more.