KimberlyF, Longtime Relationship Expert
Experience:  Relationship expert for almost three years with

what is considered a normal amount of time before asking the person to marry you

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Relationship
Expert:  KimberlyF replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What is your age?

-What is your question for me?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

28 and she is 24. I'm trying to figure out is what is considered a normal amount of dating time before asking her to marry me. we've been together for about 5-6 months and live together. She also has been hinting around at wanting a child by me.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I know it's kind of a trick question
Expert:  KimberlyF replied 7 years ago.

One more question:

How long have you lived together?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
about 3 mos.
Expert:  KimberlyF replied 7 years ago.

Depending on how well you get along and how comfortable you feel around her, if the two of you have gotten along the three months and truly feel that you are ready to take that major of a step then I see nothing wrong with it. It really depends on the maturity of the couple and how well they get along and love each other. Usually six months is a little early to both want to get married and have children but the fact that the two of you are living together and feel you are ready maybe you could have a long engagement and make sure this is what the two of you really want and after another 5 to 6 months if you still feel you are ready then set a date. You both are at the age where most young couples decide to get married anyway, just make sure it isn't too soon and make sure you don't make alot of serious decision at once it can become overwhelming and may cause conflict in the relationship. Just make sure you are both on the same page as far as future plans and what you want out of life and your profession.