TherapistMaryAnn, Counselor
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues

Where do I go Im stressed at work. It overflows to my home

Customer Question

Where do I go? I'm stressed at work. It overflows to my home life. I'm dealing with a bipolar step-son. My wife offers little support and our sex life is nonpassionate and seldom. My children with her love me but have stated they have days where they do't like me much. This is not where I want to be! How do I fix it?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 7 years ago.

What kind of work do you do?

How old are your children? You say 'children with her', are there other children in the home?

Have they said why they don't like you much some days?

How long have you been married?

Was the sex always like that? or when did it become that way?

Have you talked to her about it?

Have you considered counseling or marriage counseling?

Any other problems or issues I should know about?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I work as a Battalion Chief for a municipal Fire Dept.

I have two children at home ages 15 and 17. I have a step-son who does not live with me and his age is 28.

They have never said that to me directly. I'm being informed by my wife and step-son. It appears they are afraid to be this "honest" with me.

I've been married 18 years.

The sex has been declining for years.

When the subject is brought up...avoidance to deal with the subject would be her action.

Considering marriage counseling? Honestly, no. After a recent heated conversation, I thought I should seek counseling as to remove whatever part I play in this drama. Then, I could seek to bring others to accept their role and get them to seek help.

The only other main issue is that my step-son has been diagnosed as bi-polar. He is not being treated for this condition. My wife feels so guilty for his life with her former alcoholic husband that she has become an enabler. She takes his side on all disputes. I think she believes I'm stronger and able to handle the grief better than he does. However, my only wish is to help this kid and stop any/all poor behavior. For this I'm considered a tyrant.