JR, M.A.
JR, M.A., Mental Health Professional
Experience:  I have a master's degree in clinical psychology and am currently finishing my doctoral degree.
11111309

I keep having argument with my daughter about my sexual abuse

Customer Question

I keep having argument with my daughter about my sexual abuse issue with my father. I have seen a psychothereapist for four years, she has since cut me loose saying that I should be able to function better, but will be there for any unforseen problems. My question she beleives that i should just get over it, I have on several occassions informed her that it doesn't just go away forever and that from time to time it will still be an issue, they don't understand why I still get upset when on tv there is this issue in the storyline and ask if we could not watch this program? Is that wrong and why do they think it would ever just go away?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  JR, M.A. replied 8 years ago.
Hi Terrijean,

I agree with you and your therapist. You should not have to watch television programs that trigger negative thoughts or bad memories. If your children don't accept this, there is really nothing you can do about it. It seems like you have tried to get them to listen, but they cannot seem to put themselves in your shoes. I do have one suggestion though. I think you should have your family come with you to one of your therapy sessions. Let the therapist tell your family more about how the abuse affects your functioning. Frankly, if they will not listen to the psychologist, you are out of luck here. Talk with your therapist about having a family session soon. I think this would be a great way of involving your family and letting them know what you are going through. If they do not want to come, then they are clearly not interested in understanding you. I'm sorry to hear about this poor treatment of you. You do not deserve this type of treatment.

Please click the green ACCEPT button so that I get paid for my work. Bonuses are greatly appreciated if you found my answer worthy.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I am so emphatically impressed with your knowledge and expertise, thank you very much, I would like to bonus you in the amount of $5.00 if you could help me to do so.

Very Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX