KimberlyF
KimberlyF, Longtime Relationship Expert
Experience:  Relationship expert for almost three years with JustAnswer.com

what is the average time that people date prior to getting

what is the average time that people date prior to getting engaged or married? If 2 people are in the mid 40's and have a;lready been married and have kids, and know that they want to be married, what is too soon?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  KimberlyF replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-How long have you been dating exactly?

-Do you both want to get married now?

-Do your children get along?

-Do you truly love each other?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

we have been dating for almost 7 months. we both feel like it has been much longer. We sleep together every night.

Our kids (all boys) ages 7,8,9,10 actually consider each other brothers and can't wait to see each other. They have the exact same interests (sports, toys, games, hobbies, music), they have some normal disagreances but move on. My girlfriend has the boys most of the time, however we have the boys the same weekends. I have joiint custody and my boys are with me 1/2 the time. We actually spend overnights at my girlfriends and we just decided to bring my boys bedroom set, clothes and toys over so they feel like home. I still have a home and have placed it on the market.

We both truely are in love, and since both of us have been in other longterm

relationships and marriage feel that this is the one. We have been cautious so far as this relationship involves 4 wonderful boys. We are both wanting to get married but are wondering what might be too soon?

Expert:  KimberlyF replied 5 years ago.
Customer

With that kind of unique love and togetherness there is now there is no way you can put a time limit on becoming a real family when you already feel like family why wait and stick to the normalcy because your situation definitely isn't the norm, people can only wish to find their true and then their children get along so well getting married will really only be the cherry on top. You don't find true love and true love amongst the children also. If things have not changed in 7 months then more than likely you relationship will become even more stronger if you unite in marriage and involve your children in that process that makes the relationship even more special when all the important people in your life can truly be involved. You have truly found something special so I say ask her to marry you when you are ready to do so which seems to be right now and you could possibly make it even more special by doing it while your children are all together possibly Christmas if you are ready for that soon which I think you are ready so no it's not too soon to get married.

KimberlyF, Longtime Relationship Expert
Experience: Relationship expert for almost three years with JustAnswer.com