JR, M.A.
JR, M.A., Mental Health Professional
Experience:  I have a master's degree in clinical psychology and am currently finishing my doctoral degree.

I am deeply attracted to my previous psychiatrist. I have lots

I am deeply attracted to my previous psychiatrist. I have lots of issues but I couldnt stop thinking about him in order to get on with the actual problems in my life. I have made a real dork of myself. I cannot stop thinking about him. I havent felt this way about another doctor. I think he was trying to help me online but I interpreted it as intrusive. I admitted my feelings. And then took them back because i thought I was being rejected. I hurt this person by acting out my feelings in the session because I was not familiar with the process and didnt explain that I had not seen a psychiatrist for 15 years, Im 31 now. I have legal/work/housing issues as well as my childhood and how I handle relationships/men-Ive been too guarded to confide in counsellors but have worked out issues .I have been told I cannot see him again because where I now live. I really care for this man, I felt he felt the same way too in what he said/did.Did I overstep the mark? I would really like to see him again
Category: Relationship
Expert:  JR, M.A. replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer

As a clinician, your psychiatrist is ethically bound from entering into a dual relationship with you. That is, he cannot treat you as his patient while engaging in a physical/sexual relationship with you. You probably like him so much because he actually took the time to listen and to understand you. You are most likely misinterpreting his caring gestures for romantic-like gestures. You admitted to having boundary and relationship issues, and your perception of his intentions is probably a reflection of these problems. The only way that he could ethically engage in a romantic relationship with you would be for you to stop seeing him for over 2 years. After that time, he could ethically engage in a relationship with you if you both wanted that. However, it is still quite questionable for a doctor to engage in this type of behavior, even after 2 years. We are generally taught...DO NOT DATE YOUR PATIENTS! So I suggest that you back off from this relationship.

If you found this answer to be helpful, please click ACCEPT so that I get paid for my work. Bonuses are greatly appreciated if you found my answer worthy.
JR, M.A., Mental Health Professional
Experience: I have a master's degree in clinical psychology and am currently finishing my doctoral degree.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank-you! Thats really helpful! I realised part of the answer last night, that its what I made of it. The advice you have given is really spot on and answered all my questions!

My mind just wanted answers and to rationalize things and over the past twelve weeks its gone AWOL because it doesnt know what to think anymore! It was the way I perceived things because I ran from everything to the fact I thought he was going to hurt me to the polar opposite.

Thank you!

Pointing out my issues in relation to this really helped. I have read up on communication skills but could you recommend something that would help improve my perceptions of others? i.e. that could help me read between the lines of what people say and do?

Many thanks and best wishes!

Expert:  JR, M.A. replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer

The best way to improve your interpersonal perception is with healthy practice. That is, you need to experience more healthy social interactions in which you are provided interpersonal feedback. I suggest that you find an interpersonal process psychotherapy group in your area. Not too many psychologists run these types of groups, but I think they are incredibly helpful. These types of groups really help you to understand yourself and others better. I strongly suggest you contact some psychologists in your area and try to find an interpersonal process group you could join. Additionally, they are not too expensive. Good luck with your search.

JR, M.A., Mental Health Professional