KimberlyF, Longtime Relationship Expert
Experience:  Relationship expert for almost three years with

I dont know how to handle this particular situation, and if

Customer Question

I don't know how to handle this particular situation, and if maybe I am just making too much of a big deal about it. I live with my partner of almost 2 years, and Saturday is my birthday. Plans were made about 2 weeks ago for us to go visit my parents who live about an hour and a half away, and the plan was to leave Friday afternoon around 2 or so, so that we can all go out to dinner and spend the night there. Elizabeth (my partner) had only asked that we be back early Saturday afternoon to spend my birthday with her. It is the last minute, and she has now told me that she can't get done work early tomorrow. So I had said, ok I'll just tell them that I'll come up by myself and spend the night.   She was ok with that. I guess what bothers me the most is that it didnt seem to bother her that I will be waking up on my birthday- without her. Should this be a concern? sometimes I feel that I overreact and become too sensitive.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  KimberlyF replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What is your age?

-How long have you been together?

-Do you get along for the most part?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
<p>I'm 37- soon to be 38 on Saturday. We have been together almost 2 years, and I would say that for the most part we do get along. I do sometimes get the feeling that we get along as well as we do because I have a tendency to compromise more on my own feelings. </p><p> </p><p>I don't want to come across sounding as if this is a one-way relationship, because she can be very caring, nurturing and compromising as well. I just sometimes feel that for things that she knows are important to me (like this visit and being with her in the morning on my birthday), she has an attitude of ''well it'll pass, it's not the end of the world''. </p>
Expert:  KimberlyF replied 7 years ago.

I can understand you being upset you won't be able to spend your birthday morning with her and wake up to her on your birthday but you will have the rest of the day right? What you should do is tell her that it bothers you that you can not be with her at your parent's house the eve of your birthday but also try to understand that she has to work that morning that is an unforeseen occurrence that she can't get out of. Make the best of the time that you do have together and don't make it a strained day with hurt feelings maybe some time alone with your parents will do some good. This is one of those time that you have to compromise and just be glad that you will get any kind of time with her on your birthday but ask her to take the day off next year for your birthday with no exceptions. Don't let this put a strain on your relationship sometimes things come up that are out of our control and we have to make the best of it.